Thursday 14 October 2010

Third year so far...

This blog is set up for one of my degree modules, Learning and Professional Development (LPD). I will each week be discussing the activities of this module, but will also be talking about other activities relating to my other subjects.
Those subjects are Advanced Digital Media Production, Current Issues in Media Communications, Media Law and my Dissertation.
It is currently the third week back at university as a third year, so far I have been mostly concentrating on my dissertation proposal, which I have just completed. My dissertation subject is Public Service Broadcasting, and if it remains relevant in today's media landscape. So far, I am at the desk research stage, but will be to arranging focus groups soon. I am quite excited about embarking on this project on my own; I think it will be a stressful but rewarding experience!

As part of the LPD unit, I have been focussing on my own skills and values by doing a self-assessment exercise. As part of the skills assessment, I outlined the following ideal job criteria:
I would like a job that allows further studying, such as attending training courses and vocational qualifications. I feel that by studying further as part of a particular career I can better my prospects and myself. Another desirable aspect is to take knowledge from my degree subject into my career, I enjoy my subject and would like to use it further. Although, I am also open to the range of other subject areas is in job market. I would also be looking for an intellectual challenge, as opposed to completing to same tasks each day, I would like variety in my career and to feel a certain amount of pressure to resolve issues and problem solving.
The LPD unit has also encouraged the initial generating of ideas for future careers, I undertook certain idea generating strategies and found an interest in these four options:
- A career in marketing, communications and audience research.
- A career in management services, e.g. Management Consultant.
- A career in public relations, e.g. Public Relations Officer.
- A career in advertising and marketing, e.g. Market Researcher.



Next I will be moving on to more indepth occupation research.

No comments:

Post a Comment